Chevy Chase, MD
$76,000 - $185,000 / Year
Junior, Mid, Senior level
GEICO is seeking an experienced Senior Engineer with a passion for building high-performance, low maintenance, zero-downtime platforms, and applications. You will help drive our insurance business transformation as we transition from a traditional IT model to a tech organization with engineering excellence as its mission, while co-creating the culture of psychological safety and continuous improvement.
Our Senior Engineer is a key member of the engineering staff working across the organization to provide a friction-less experience to our customers and maintain the highest standards of protection and availability. Our team thrives and succeeds in delivering high quality technology products and services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift quickly. The ideal candidate has broad and deep technical knowledge, typically ranging from front-end UIs through back-end systems and all points in between.
As a Senior Engineer, you will:
- Scope, design, and build scalable, resilient distributed systems
- Build product definition and leverage your technical skills to drive towards the right solution.
- Engage in cross-functional collaboration throughout the entire software lifecycle
- Lead in design sessions and code reviews with peers to elevate the quality of engineering across the organization
- Define, create, and support reusable application components/patterns from a business and technology perspective
- Utilize developer tooling and a variety of Azure tools and services across the software development life cycle (task management, source code, building, deployment, operations, real-time communication) to perform advanced-level Java application design, implementation, and maintenance activities under minimal direction
- Mentor other engineers
- Consistently share best practices and improve processes within and across teams
- Advanced programming experience with at least two modern languages such as Java, C++, Python or C# including object-oriented design
- Proven understanding of micro-services oriented architecture and extensible REST APIs
- Experience building the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling) of new and current systems
- Advanced understanding of DevOps Concepts and Cloud Architecture
- Experience with continuous delivery and infrastructure as code
- Strong problem-solving ability
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, startup-like environment
- Knowledge of developer tooling across the software development life cycle (task management, source code, building, deployment, operations, real-time communication)
- In-depth knowledge of CS data structures and algorithms
- Advanced PowerShell scripting skills
- Advanced understanding of monitoring concepts and tooling
- Advanced understanding of security protocols and products
- 4+ years of Software Development within a Java framework (J2EE, web containers and Java)
- 3+ years of experience with architecture and design
- 3+ years of experience with AWS, GCP, Azure, or another cloud service
- 2+ years of experience in open-source frameworks
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent education or work experience
The above annual salary range is a general guideline. Multiple factors are taken into consideration to arrive at the final hourly rate/ annual salary to be offered to the selected candidate. Factors include, but are not limited to, the scope and responsibilities of the role, the selected candidate’s work experience, education and training, the work location as well as market and business considerations.
At this time, GEICO will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
As an Associate, you’ll enjoy our
Total Rewards Program
- to help secure your financial future and preserve your health and well-being, including:
- Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting period**
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
- 401(k) Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Training and Licensures
- Benefits may be different by location. Benefit eligibility requirements vary and may include length of service.
**Coverage begins on the date of hire. Must enroll in New Hire Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take effect.
The equal employment opportunity policy of the GEICO Companies provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status, disability or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. GEICO hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
GEICO reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity and/or perform the essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the Company. This applies to all applicants and associates. GEICO also provides a work environment in which each associate is able to be productive and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining an atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual respect by and for all associates and applicants.
26 days ago
Last updated 24 days ago