Full Stack Engineer - Front End Developer - IT International
Costco IT is responsible for the technical future of Costco Wholesale, the third largest retailer in the world with wholesale operations in fourteen countries. Despite our size and explosive international expansion, we continue to provide a family, employee centric atmosphere in which our employees thrive and succeed. As proof, Costco ranks seventh in Forbes “World’s Best Employers”.
This is an environment unlike anything in the high-tech world and the secret of Costco’s success is its culture. The value Costco puts on its employees is well documented in articles from a variety of publishers including Bloomberg and Forbes. Our employees and our members come FIRST. Costco is well known for its generosity and community service and has won many awards for its philanthropy. The company joins with its employees to take an active role in volunteering by sponsoring many opportunities to help others.
Come join Costco Digital - part of the Costco Wholesale IT family. Costco Digital is a dynamic, fast-paced environment, working through exciting transformation efforts. We are building the next generation digital retail environment where you will be surrounded by dedicated and highly professional employees. We are embarking on a large digital transformation and need team members like you to help us grow to the next level.
Our Digital team is transforming how we deliver solutions and interact with our members across our Mobile, Commerce and Order Management platforms. We have a culture of improvement learning with a start up mentality and a customer centric approach for our Costco members and our employees. We are looking for talented individuals to join our team and pursue bold ideas and explore growth opportunities.
Full Stack Engineers perform development work across the technology stack (both front-end/back-end expertise). Full Stack Engineers are versatile in how they can add value, demonstrating the ability to manage the completion of projects that involve databases, backend services, or the development of user-facing websites.
The Costco International IT team is looking for a skilled front-end engineer to work across different initiatives, drive the standards for the Org and deliver the required front-end components including the UI/UX artifacts. The Engineer must have a strong focus on front-end development and demonstrate the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and be responsible for creating satisfying and compelling experiences for users, often drawing on results from user research and workflow analysis. This role will also be directly responsible for delivering capabilities to create delightful user experiences for users, customers, members, and maintaining them through functional improvement, documentation, profiling, and front-end performance enhancements.
The Engineer will design and build modern user interface components to enhance the user experience over a wide variety of digital touchpoints. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative and creative problem-solver who communicates effectively while working with a diverse group of stakeholders.
If you want to be a part of one of the worldwide BEST companies “to work for”, simply apply and let your career be reimagined.
- Supports Systems Architects with the design of the overall architecture of a specific product/application, applying principles that promote availability, reusability, interoperability and security into the design framework.
- Performs development, optimization, and automation activities to support the implementation of a product/application.
- Increases proficiency and understanding of relational and non-relational databases, distributed application architectures, user interfaces and user experience, quality assurance, security concerns, and business value creation.
- Adopts engineering best practices to deliver higher quality and scalable solutions.
- Provides the team with the development strategy, solution recommendations, and estimates for a given product/application.
- Participates in scrum ceremonies (sprint planning, retrospective, showcases/demos, stand-ups, backlog refinement, etc.).
- Creates and executes unit tests which validate the code changes made to support the implementation of a user story.
- Uses test driven development (TDD) practices to assist with the detection/recognition of software defects early in the development process.
- Identifies deficiencies within a product / application’s code base and identifies opportunities to improve overall code quality.
- Works with team members to move user stories from the development backlog into testing and provides clarification when needed.
- Estimates, plans, and manages all implementation tasks and reports on development progress.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of emerging technologies to support the development of new solutions.
- Collaborates with team members (e.g., Systems Architects, Systems Analysts) to define project specifications and release documentation for all phases of the product development cycle from product definition to design, through implementation.
- Conducts peer code reviews for the software changes made by other engineers within a team.
- Leads overall design strategy that meets business and user needs while considering technical limitations.
- Prepares and facilitates activities such as affinity diagramming, journey mapping, and user scenario or storyboarding exercises with stakeholders.
- Works with the business users, product owner, and creates design concepts/wireframes to build interactive prototypes and wireframes, demonstrating ability with prototyping tools.
- Prepares and facilitates usability testing.
- Prepares and conducts Card Sorting and Tree Tests.
- Solves complex design problems through a user-centered design process that accounts for user goals, business requirements and development needs.
- Maintains and enforces UX style guides, UI standards, and interaction design pattern libraries.
- Adheres to best practices and common patterns across devices for interactions such as: form controls, mobile transitions, and desktop interactions (popovers, hover effects, etc.).
- Uses a variety of iterative design methods to drive thoughtful design decisions including sketches, process flows, wireframes, and interactive simulations/prototypes.
- Implements multi-lingual product/application for international users.
- Works with Jasmine-Karma, Node, Web services, XML, JSON, and has working knowledge on Middleware communication technologies, Relational Database concepts, Azure or other Cloud tech.
- Develops and implements front-end architecture to support user interface concepts.
- Creates conceptual and detailed technical design documents.
- Adopts technical ownership of features and advancing product functionality.
- Meets with the development and business teams to discuss user interface ideas and applications.
- Advocates for and improves code quality, automated tests, CI/CD initiatives, and the developer experience.
- Reviews application requirements and interface designs.
- Performs troubleshooting for interface software and debugging application code.
- Monitors and improves front-end performance.
- Builds accessible and reusable components.
- Documents application changes and reviews code.
- 3+ years of experience as a User (UX) Designer or interaction designer role.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience developing in a distributed application environment.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience delivering multi-lingual product/application.
- Minimum 1 years’ experience as a development lead on major projects.
- Knowledge of a variety of design and prototyping tools such as Figma, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Sketch.
- web applications.
- Proficiency with building responsive layouts using CSS and CSS-precompilation.
- Strong understanding of cross-browser compatibility.
- Ability to integrate 3rd party APIs and a strong understanding of REST services.
- Proficiency with state and side effect management within client-side applications.
- Proficiency with client-side application bundling and optimization.
- Strong understanding of CSS fundamentals, accessible patterns, component design and functional programming, and data structures.
- Experience programming in one major database (relational and/or non-relational).
- Knowledge of object-oriented concepts.
- Must have experience leading at least one project through a formal software development lifecycle.
- Must have strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work with all management levels.
- Ability to work with Product Owners and convert ideas into UI/UX artifacts.
- Must have high integrity, accountability, a positive attitude.
- Proven ability to manage priorities and timelines.
- Proven ability to provide project estimates and work-breakdown schedules.
- Must be extremely responsive, able to work under pressure, and a strong sense of urgency.
- Responsible, conscientious, organized, self-motivated, and able to work with limited supervision.
- Must be detail-oriented and possess strong problem-solving skills and ability to analyze potential future issues.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education (Computer Science or related field).
- Experience working in supply chain management.
- Understanding of WCAG principles, patterns, and screen reader testing.
- Experience working on design systems building highly composable, reusable components.
- Experience with code review, performance analysis, and understanding of large-scale application infrastructure and dependencies.
- Experience translating Figma design mockups and prototypes into working applications.
- Knowledge of unit testing frameworks, including Jest and React Testing Library.
- Experience working with serverless platforms on Azure or GCP.
- Familiarity with design patterns and microservices-based architecture patterns.
- Experience with writing complex Graphql, Redis, MongoDB or similar database queries.
- Experience with MUI v5 components.
- Experience working with Storybook.js and Chromatic.
- Experience with Gatsby.js.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Cover Letter
California applicants, please click here to review the Costco Applicant Privacy Notice.
Level 2 - $107,500 - $137,500
Level 3 - $127,500 - $162,500
Level 4 - $152,500 - $182,500, Bonus and Restricted Stock Unit (RSU) eligible
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, health benefits - medical/dental/vision/hearing aid/pharmacy/behavioral health/employee assistance, health care reimbursement account, dependent care assistance plan, short-term disability and long-term disability insurance, ADD insurance, life insurance, 401(k), stock purchase plan to eligible employees.
Costco is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Costco is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or any other legally protected status. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to IT-Recruiting@costco.com
If hired, you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States. In some cases, applicants and employees for selected positions will not be sponsored for work authorization, including, but not limited to H1-B visas.