Cloud Engineer (Hybrid)
Securian Financial Group
Saint Paul, MN
Junior, Senior level
*At Securian Financial the internal position title is Infrastructure Consultant or Infrastructure Sr. Analyst. The title and salary will be determined based on experience and applied skills. *
Securian is looking for a Cloud Engineer who is passionate about delivering high quality products, services, and capabilities for our internal engineering and app development-oriented customers. This role is part of the Enterprise Cloud and Development Platforms organization within the Enterprise Technology division. We provide offerings for application hosting, deployment, and observability, CI/CD pipelines, API management, local desktop development, and Securian’s AWS cloud. Our mission includes:
- Leveraging a customer-centric mindset towards providing high-quality offerings for engineers and developers throughout the enterprise
- Creating dynamic and scalable solutions through automation, infrastructure as code, and self-service capabilities
- Ensuring our solutions are designed, engineered, and operate safely, securely, and effectively
- Providing education, consulting, and collaborative engagement with other teams throughout Enterprise Technology
- Promoting practices and behaviors around engineering excellence, DevOps, automation/infrastructure as code, optimization, and modernization
For this role, the Cloud Engineer will be part of the team responsible for Securian’s application hosting, observability, and API management technologies and services. You will help design, engineer, improve, and maintain these capabilities in alignment with our enterprise goals and plans, operating safely, securely, and effectively through automation, self-service, and optimization. Cloud Engineers also provide consulting and education on our capabilities for engineers, developers, architects, and leaders throughout Enterprise Technology as well as our Governance, Risk, and Compliance teams.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design, engineer, and support solutions for Securian’s application hosting, API management, observability, and portions of our AWS and Azure cloud environments.
- Create innovative solutions leveraging automation and self-service capabilities, focusing on providing a good experience for our internal engineers and developers while meeting requirements for operating safely, securely, and effectively.
- Collaborate and partner with other technology teams, cybersecurity, and governance/risk/compliance teams to ensure capabilities continue to meet requirements throughout their lifecycle.
- Provide consulting and education on our capabilities for other engineers, developers, architects, and leadership throughout Enterprise Technology.
- Identify, analyze, and mitigate vulnerabilities, leveraging automation and modernization to minimize or tackle technical debt.
- Define, document, and share best practices, guardrails, standards, and guidelines for our capabilities.
- Seek feedback from engineers and developers on the quality and experience of our capabilities, use the feedback towards improvements and future feature releases.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for troubleshooting incidents, identifying root causes, fixing problems, documenting and communicating changes, and implementing preventive measures.
What we expect from you:
- Analytical mindset and ability to think creatively about solutions and problem solving.
- Experience with AWS services for application hosting, monitoring, networking, storage, security, configuration, and other common services.
- Experience leveraging infrastructure as code to create and manage solutions in AWS, including Python, CloudFormation, Terraform, etc.
- Preferred experience with technologies such as Kong, Dynatrace, Tomcat, Puppet, Apache, or similar.
- Preferred experience with software engineering methodologies and practices.
- Knowledge of web application hosting and integration concepts and technologies.
- Knowledge of Observability concepts, capabilities, and best practices.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team, adapt to changes in priorities according to business needs, and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to mentor and coach other Securian associates,
- Actively owns continuous self-improvement, identifies and pursues opportunities for personal growth.
- Ability to establish and grow working relationships with key technology and business partner teams and leaders.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail and accuracy
Securian Financial believes in hybrid work as an integral part of our culture. Associates get the benefit of working both virtually and in our offices. If you’re in a commutable distance (90 minutes) you’ll join us 2-3 days each week in our offices to collaborate and build relationships. Our policy allows flexibility for the reality of business and personal schedules. When working in our offices at least two days per week isn’t feasible (vacations, illness, travel, etc.), an eight day per month standard is an option.
#LI-hybrid **This position will be in a hybrid working arrangement.**
Physical Job Requirements:
- Ability to utilize keyboard, mouse and computer for up to 8 hours per day
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week
- Ability to utilize phone and/or virtual meeting platform for 2-4 hours per day
- Ability to perform grasping tasks 2-4 hours per day
The physical job requirements described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of jobs.
Be you. With us. At Securian Financial, we understand that attracting top talent means offering more than just a job – it means providing a rewarding and fulfilling career. As a valued member of our high-performing team, we want you to connect with your work, your relationships and your community. Enjoy our comprehensive range of benefits designed to enhance your professional growth, well-being and work-life balance, including the advantages listed here:
Paid time off:
- We want you to take time off for what matters most to you. During your first year of hire, you receive a prorated bank of personal days and vacation time depending on your month of hire.
- Leave programs: Securian’s flexible leave programs allow time off from work for parental leave, caregiver leave for family members, bereavement and military leave.
Company-funded pension plan and a 401(k) retirement plan: Share in the success of our company. Securian’s 401(k) company contribution is tied to our performance up to 10 percent of eligible earnings, with a target of 5 percent. The amount is based on company results compared to goals related to earnings, sales and service.
Health insurance: From the first day of employment, associates and their eligible family members – including spouses, domestic partners and children – are eligible for medical, dental and vision coverage.
Volunteer time: We know the importance of community. Through company-sponsored events, volunteer paid time off, a dollar-for-dollar matching gift program and more, we encourage you to support organizations important to you.
Associate Resource Groups: Build connections, be yourself and develop meaningful relationships at work through associate-led ARGs. Dedicated groups focus on a variety of interests and affinities, including:
- Mental Wellness and Disability
- Pride at Securian Financial
- Securian Young Professionals Network
- Securian Multicultural Network
- Securian Women and Allies Network
- Servicemember Associate Resource Group
For more information regarding Securian’s benefits, please review our
This information is not intended to explain all the provisions of coverage available under these plans. In all cases, the plan document dictates coverage and provisions.
Securian Financial Group, Inc. does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital or familial status, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, political affiliation, veteran status, status in regard to public assistance or any other protected status. If you are a job seeker with a disability and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please contact us by email at Employment@Securian.com, by telephone 651-655-5522 (voice), or 711 (Relay/TTY).
To view our privacy statement click
To view our legal statement click
30+ days ago
Last updated 30+ days ago