Staff Cloud Engineer
Credit Acceptance is proud to be an award-winning company with local and national workplace recognition in multiple categories! Our world-class culture is shaped by dedicated Team Members who share a drive to succeed as professionals and together as a company. A great product, amazing people and our stable financial history have made us one of the largest used car finance companies nationally.
Our Engineering and Analytics Team Members utilize the latest technology to develop, monitor, and maintain complex practices that help optimize our success. Our Team Members value being challenged, are encouraged to express their ideas, and have the flexibility to enjoy work life balance. We build intrinsic value by partnering with all functions of our business to support their success and make strategic business decisions. We focus on professional development and continuous improvement while enjoying a casual work environment and Great Place to Work culture!
At Credit Acceptance, cloud computing continues to allow us to modernize and consolidate IT infrastructure, automate workloads, and pursue next-generation innovation. To continue this transformation, we’re seeking an experienced Staff Cloud Engineer with expertise in the strategy, design, development, and implementation of large-scale projects in the cloud. The ideal candidate is experienced in cloud-based tech, with a firm grasp of emerging technologies, platforms, and applications, and ability to customize them to help our business become more secure and efficient. Extensive knowledge of cloud maintenance and advanced industry knowledge is key to keeping us on the cutting edge. From day one, you’ll have an immediate impact on the day-to-day efficiency of our IT infrastructure and an ongoing impact on our overall growth.
The Staff Cloud Engineer owns the cloud and is responsible for architecture, administration, maintenance and availability of all cloud infrastructure and supporting tools. Additionally, Staff Cloud Engineer demonstrates and encourages a culture of automation, orchestration and efficiency. The position is key to driving cloud strategy that is consistent with the department and business goals.
Outcomes and Activities:
- This position will work from home; occasional planned travel to an assigned Southfield, Michigan office location may be required. However, this position is permitted to work at a Southfield, Michigan office location if requested by the team member.
- Provide thought leadership and build cloud solutions that deliver high impact business value and deliver customer delight.
- Lead the design and implementation of cloud solutions that are scalable, reliable, and maintainable.
- Collaborate with a diverse cross functional team including business partners, Product Managers and designers to define product requirements, direction and clarity.
- Drive technical innovation and improvements of the design and architecture of cloud systems towards leading edge technologies and practices.
- Define, develop and drive cloud engineering best practices.
- Become an expert in the business process domain to better support the business and align technologies with the business outcomes.
- Work with the engineering leadership team to develop and execute on the company’s technical and business strategy.
- Conduct impact analysis to proactively identify impact of a change across multiple applications/systems.
- Perform technical due diligence and architectural assessments of third-party technologies and solutions.
- Experiment and test ideas, validate assumptions against needs, reach conclusions and recommend solutions.
- Document standards, best practices, and engineering artifacts so others can easily understand, build and maintain best in class Cloud systems.
- Debug the critical problems which arise in production and execute effective solutions.
- Lead continuous learning and process improvement activities to improve design and overall engineering practices.
- Participate in talent selection and mentoring team members.
- Develop standard architectural practices and lead solutions development across partner engineering groups.
- Define and document best practices and strategies regarding cloud deployments and maintenance.
- Ensure application performance, uptime, and scale, maintaining high standards of quality and thoughtful design.
- Conduct routine environment audits of cloud accounts for compliance with established standards, policies, configuration guidelines and procedures.
- Maintain a comprehensive cloud library of all supporting documentation.
Competencies: The following items detail how you will be successful in this role.
- Impact Analysis: Understand the rationale behind and how changes impact the enterprise and/or applications and across the technical ecosystem.
- Solution Design: Ability to translate high level requirements to create and implement designs that meet the needs of the customer, are technically sound, maintainable and cost effective. Ability to identify missing or ambiguous requirements. Ability to design at both high and low levels of abstraction, understand complex requirements and translate into understandable solutions. Ability to accurately estimate based on requirements.
- Technical Domain: Have an understanding of the technical domain, including the application architecture, design and data of the application they support and systems to which it interfaces.
- Testing Techniques: Understand the range of testing techniques available well enough to select the most effective test procedures.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience designing scalable Cloud/Hybrid environments with a strong background in AWS and Azure.
- Experience developing and managing Infrastructure as Code, leveraging tools such as Terraform, Ansible, GitHub, etc.
- Experience in the lead role overseeing technical direction of a team of Cloud Engineers.
- Expert knowledge of cloud best practices with experience building complex software engineering products.
- Extensive experience with building and driving adoption of Cloud engineering best practices.
- Strong understanding of distributed systems, cloud computing, and microservices architectures.
- Experience working on mission-critical enterprise class applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work with business partners, cross functional team members mentor less experienced team members.
- Proven track record driving continuous improvements with cloud technology.
- Proven ability to drive automation and build self service capabilities for Software Engineers.
- Development of automation scripts in various automation, orchestration, scripting, or programming languages.
- Ability to right-size cloud infrastructure with cost, and performance in mind.
- Experience in a hybrid Cloud/Data Center environment supporting various multi-tier and microservice applications.
- Experience with SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS deployments in the Cloud.
- Experience developing and maintaining performance metrics and graphs.
- Experience with other clouds like Oracle and Google.
- Experience with backup and data protection technologies.
- Experience with patching tools.
- Experience with virtualization environments.
- Experience with observability and alerting tools like PagerDuty.
- Ability to use Excel or similar tool(s) to provide value from various data sources.
- Experience working with monitoring/trending software such as CloudWatch, ELK, Splunk, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of DevOps processes.
Targeted Compensation: Base salary of $150,000+ with an annual performance bonus plan.
- Excellent benefits package that includes 401(K) match, adoption assistance, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive medical/ dental/vision and many nonstandard benefits that make us a Great Place to Work
Our Company Values:
To be successful in this role, Team Members need to be:
- Positive by maintaining resiliency and focusing on solutions
- Respectful by collaborating and actively listening
- Insightful by cultivating innovation, accumulating business and role specific knowledge, demonstrating self-awareness and making quality decisions
- Direct by effectively communicating and conveying courage
- Earnest by taking accountability, applying feedback and effectively planning and priority setting
- Remain compliant with our policies processes and legal guidelines
- All other duties as assigned
- Attendance as required by department
We understand that your career search may look different than others. Our hiring team wants to make sure that this would be a fit not just for us, but for you long term. If you are actively looking or starting to explore new opportunities, send us your application!
We have great details around our stats, success, history and more. We’re proud of our culture and are happy to share why – let’s talk!
Required degrees must have been earned at institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
Credit Acceptance is dedicated to providing an inclusive environment for all. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and value a culturally diverse workforce. We believe in ensuring all team members demonstrate mutual respect for one another. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected characteristics like age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
California Residents: Please click here
for the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) notice regarding the personal information Credit Acceptance may collect from you.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $150,000.00 per year