Data Engineer, Consultant
The Data Engineering development team Is responsible for design, development, test and deployment of large enterprise data warehouse/BI data solutions using both on-prem and cloud technologies. The Data Engineer, Consultant will report to the Manager, Data Engineering Development. In this role you will be responsible for design, development, and implementation of data integration, data warehouse and data mart (ELT/ETL) solutions using on-prem as well as Cloud technologies.
In this role, you will:
- Build data pipelines: Create, maintain, and optimize workloads from development to production for specific use cases
- Use innovative and modern tools, techniques and architectures listed below to drive automation of most-common, repeatable data preparation and integration tasks with goal of minimizing reducing defects and improving productivity
- Develop and enforce data integration and data quality standards across all development initiatives according to the organization’s Enterprise information services policies as well as best practices
- Assist in renovating our data management infrastructure with quality of data preparation, integration and AI-enabled metadata management tools and techniques
- Track data consumption patterns most used and valued to our customers by performing intelligent sampling and monitoring
- Triage data issues, analyzing end to end data pipelines and in working with business users in troubleshooting/resolving data pipeline issues
- Execute and oversee the analysis and remediation of root causes, including deficiencies in technology, process, or resource capabilities
- Work in an Agile/DevSecOps pod model alongside solution leads, data modelers, analysts, business partners and other developers in delivery of data
- Mentor junior data engineers/developers
Your Knowledge and Experience
- Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Requires at least 12 years of prior relevant experience
- Hands on experience with programming languages including SQL, PL/SQL on cloud data platforms like Snowflake, Oracle, SQL Server and Netezza
- Strong technical understanding of data modeling (data vault 2.0), data mining, master data management, data integration, data architecture, data virtualization, data warehousing and data quality techniques with hands on experience using data management technologies like Informatica PowerCenter/IICS, Collibra, Master Data Management, DBT Cloud, Denodo and Golden Gate
- Working knowledge of Git repositories (bitbucket, GitHub), CI/CD (Jenkins, Azure DevOps)and software development tools, including incident tracking, version control, release management, subversion change management(Atlassian toolset – Jira/Confluence), testing tools and systems and scheduling software (Tidal, Control-m)
- Experience working with popular data discovery, analytics and BI software tools like Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI and others for semantic-layer-based data discovery
- Experienced in popular open-source and commercial data science platforms such as Python, R, KNIME, Alteryx, others is a strong plus but not required/compulsory
- Basic experience in working with data governance and data security and specifically information stewards and privacy and security officers in moving data pipelines into production with appropriate data quality, governance and security standards and certification Adept in agile methodologies and capable of applying DevOps and increasingly Data Operations principles to data pipelines to improve the communication, integration, reuse and automation of data flows between data managers and consumers across an organization
The pay range for this role is: $ 118800.00 to $ 178200.00 for California.
Please note that this range represents the pay range for this and many other positions at Blue Shield that fall into this pay grade. Blue Shield salaries are based on a variety of factors, including the candidate's experience, location (California, Bay area, or outside California), and current employee salaries for similar roles.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Blue Shield of California’s mission is to ensure all Californians have access to high-quality health care at a sustainably affordable price. We are transforming health care in a way that genuinely serves our nonprofit mission by lowering costs, improving quality, and enhancing the member and physician experience.
To fulfill our mission, we must ensure a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where all employees can be their authentic selves and fully contribute to meet the needs of the multifaceted communities we serve. Our continued commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion upholds our values and advances our goal of creating a healthcare system that is worthy of our family and friends while addressing health disparities, promoting social justice, and integrating health equity through our products, business practices, and presence as a corporate citizen.
Blue Shield has received awards and recognition for being a certified Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work, Military Friendly Employer, People Companies that Care, a Leading Disability Employer, and one of California’s top companies in volunteering and giving. Here at Blue Shield, we strive to make a positive change across our industry and communities – join us!
- Honest . We hold ourselves to the highest ethical and integrity standards. We build trust by doing what we say we're going to do and by acknowledging and correcting where we fall short.
- Human . We strive to be our authentic selves, listening and communicating effectively, and showing empathy towards others by walking in their shoes.
- Courageous . We stand up for what we believe in and are committed to the hard work necessary to achieve our ambitious goals.
Our Workplace Model:
Blue Shield of California is dedicated to making work-life balance a reality. Whether you prefer to work in an office or from home, we understand flexibility is more important than ever. That’s why Blue Shield is a hybrid company, offering you the opportunity to decide where you can do your best and most meaningful work.
Two ways of working: Hybrid (our default) and office
- Hybrid – In a business unit approved office a few times per year to 3 days per week, on average
- Office – In a business unit approved office 4+ days a week, on average. If the role you’re applying for is deemed an “Essential Role,” the company has determined that the role can only be performed in a Blue Shield office or in the field and would require your to meet the office worker classification.
Office Environment - roles involving part to full time schedule in Office Environment. Due to the current public health emergency in California, Blue Shield employees are almost all working remotely. Based in our physical offices and work from home office/deskwork - Activity level: Sedentary, frequency most of work day.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest records and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, State and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability status and any other classification protected by Federal, State and local laws.