Senior Data Engineer, EHR - IntelliScript (Remote)
What We Do
Milliman IntelliScript is a group of a few hundred experts in fields ranging from actuarial science to information technology to clinical practice. Together, we develop and deploy category-defining, data-driven, software-as-a-service (SaaS) products for a broad spectrum of insurance clients. We’re a business unit within Milliman, Inc., a respected consultancy with offices around the world.
Candidates who have their pick of jobs are drawn to IntelliScript’s entrepreneurial and collaborative culture of innovation, excellence, exceptional customer service, balance, and transparency. Every single person has a voice in our company, and we challenge each other to push the outer limits of our full, diverse potential. And, we’ve shown sustained growth that ensures you’ll have room to grow your skillset, responsibilities, and career.
Our team is smart, down-to-earth, and ready to listen to your best ideas. We reward excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits. Visit our LinkedIn page for a closer look at our company, and learn more about our cultural values here.
What this position entails
IntelliScript’s Information Technology has been a key part of our success and is critical to our future. In this position as a Senior Data Engineer of IntelliScript’s Electronic Health Records (EHR) pipeline, you will be responsible for designing and implementing robust EHR data solutions that meet our clients' business objectives while ensuring compliance with industry-leading data privacy standards. You will collaborate closely with cross-functional agile teams to drive data architecture decisions, implement best practices, and contribute to the success of our projects.
What you’ll be doing
- Pipeline Management: You will help architect, build, and maintain robust and scalable EHR data pipelines, monitoring, and optimizing performance
- Identify and implement improvements to enhance data processing efficiency.
- Data Modeling: Lead design, implementation, and maintenance of standards based (FHIR, OMOP, etc.) and efficient data models for both structured and unstructured data
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional and non-functional business requirements
- Develop and maintain data models, ensuring they align with business objectives and data privacy regulations
- Collaboration: Partner internally and externally with key stakeholders to ensure we are providing meaningful, functional, and valuable data
- Communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders and provide guidance on best practices.
- Ensure that technology execution aligns with business strategy and provides efficient, secure solutions and systems
- ETL Development:
- Monitor and optimize data pipelines, ensuring they meet performance, availability, and scalability requirements.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and cloud-based ‘big data’ technologies.
- Processes and Tools: Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Create data tools for clinical, analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
What we need
- 5-to-10+ years of relevant experience in design, development, and testing of software applications with a focus in Data Engineering, DevOps, or Data Science role
- Expert level experience working in both relational and non-relational databases such as SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB
- Experience managing and standardizing clinical data from structured and unstructured sources
- Experience building and managing solutions on AWS and Azure infrastructure
- Expert knowledge in healthcare standards including FHIR, C-CDA, and traditional HL7
- Expert knowledge in clinical standards/ontologies including ICD10/SNOMED/NDC/LOINC/Rx
- Expert in building out data models, data warehouses, designing of data lakes for enterprise (and product use)
- Familiarity with designing and building APIs, ETL and data ingestion processes and utilization of tools to support enterprise solutions.
- Experience in performance tuning, query optimization, security, monitoring, and release management.
- Experience working with and managing large, disparate, identified and de-identified data sets from multiple data sources
What you bring to the table
- Demonstrated “let’s find a way to do it” attitude – no task is too big or too small
- Effective collaboration and communication across multiple technical and non-technical disciplines
- Comfortable working through ambiguous situations
- Able to teach mentor others on new/emerging technologies
- Customer obsessed with a business-centric focus
- Able to understand both strategic and tactical needs and balance appropriately
- Driven, thorough and self-directed
- Able to lead through influence and persuasion
- Bachelor's degree or master's degree in computer science, data engineering or related field
- Health and Life Insurance business experience
- Associate or Professional level solution architecture certification in Azure and/or AWS.
- Experience in Snowflake
This position will be based out of the Milliman office in Brookfield, WI; however, this position is open to remote work. Applicants must be willing to travel to the Milliman office in Brookfield, WI as needed.
The salary range for this position is $107,000 - $217,000 depending on a combination of factors, including but not limited to education, relevant work experience, qualifications, certifications, location, etc. In addition, we offer a signiﬁcant performance-based bonus plan, proﬁt sharing, and generous beneﬁts.
Milliman Benefits (Full time U.S. positions only)
At Milliman, we focus on creating an environment that recognizes – and meets – the personal and professional needs of the individual and their family. We offer competitive benefits which include the following based on plan eligibility:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their dependents, including domestic partners
- A 401(k) plan with matching program, and profit sharing contribution
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- A discretionary bonus program
- Paid Time Off (PTO) starts accruing on the first day of work and can be used for any reason; full-time employees will accrue 15 days of PTO per year, and employees working less than a full-time schedule will accrue PTO at a prorated amount based on hours worked
- Family building benefits, including adoption and fertility assistance and paid parental leave up to 12 weeks for employees who have worked for Milliman for at least 12 months and have worked at least 1,250 hours in the preceding 12-month period
- A minimum of 8 paid holidays
- Milliman covers 100% of the premiums for life insurance, ADD, and both short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts allow employees to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for dependent care, transportation, and applicable medical needs
This job posting is expected to close on Friday, March 15, 2024.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)