Principal Application Engineer (Python)
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Principal Application Engineer uses a vast repertoire of experience delivering high impact software solutions to work intuitively. This Engineer role knows where to look if something breaks and is key in solving challenges quickly. Principal Application Engineers are skilled in (re)design and spend time documenting and are spend ample time coding. Actively manages and escalates risk and customer-impacting issues within the day-to-day role to management.
- Competent in multiple contexts, including programming languages, security, automation, testing, and business domains and is the go-to person for many people (inside and outside of their team)
- Creates solutions addressing high impact technology and business priorities.
- Participates in strategic technology decisions and learns how these decisions impact Discover as a whole.
- Proactively identifies and mitigates issues based on intuition and experience in multiple domains.
- Coaches' technology communities at Discover
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors – Computer Science or related
- 6+ Years -- Information Technology, (Software) Engineering, or related
- Internal applicants only: technical proficiency rating of proficient on the Dreyfus engineering scale
- Docker, Kubernetes
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Hands on experience with Java an
- Experience working in an Agile Environment
- Experience working in a SRE role or knowledge of SRE principles is beneficial
- Documentation Skills
External applicants will be required to perform a technical interview.
Compensation:The base pay for this position generally ranges between $101,500.00 to $171,500.00. Additional incentives may be provided as part of a market competitive total compensation package. Factors, such as but not limited to, geographical location, relevant experience, education, and skill level may impact the pay for this position.
We also offer a range of benefits and programs based on eligibility. These benefits include:
Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off
Medical, Dental, Vision, Health Savings Account
STD, Life, LTD and ADD
Family Support Programs
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Learn more at MyDiscoverBenefits.com.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
All Discover employees place our customers at the very center of our work. To deliver on our promises to our customers, each of us contribute every day to a culture that values compliance and risk management.
Discover is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Discover is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other legally protected status. (Know Your Rights)