Senior Water Utility Data Analyst
Golden State Water Company is one of the largest investor-owned water utilities in the United States. We deliver quality, reliable water to more than 1 million people in over 80 communities throughout California. Golden State Water has been in business for more than 90 years because we put customers first.
Under the direction of the Manager of Planning & Analysis (P&A), the Senior Water Utility Data Analyst serves as a central information point on financial and data related issues within the Water Utility group. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring the data assets of the organization are represented by an architecture, which supports that Company’s strategic goals. These responsibilities include data modeling and architecting analytic solutions as well as the ability to work with significant data sets and generate accurate, timely, and actionable reports for a variety of internal “customers”, including recommendations in financial and/or operational areas. The Data Analyst will work with key GWSC stakeholders to gain an understanding of business objectives and determine the types of analytical tools and data, required to create insightful business intelligence deliverables that will provide stakeholders with insights required to assess performance versus goals and measure overall performance.
The Data Analyst reports to the Operation Financial Analyst Supervisor and works closely with a number of stakeholders and executive leaders across GSWC. The Data Analyst also works in an environment that includes sensitive and confidential data and information; therefore, the Data Analyst must have the ability to achieve policy objectives related to data and information control and governance, including accountability for confidentiality of information. The person in this position must work independently, exercise initiative and judgment in the performance of a broad range of responsibilities, including the ability to communicate with a diverse group of employees, executives and external consultants to ensure understanding of P&A goals, objectives and organizational policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the Operation Financial Analyst Supervisor to formulate and execute the comprehensive analytics and business intelligence strategy for GSWC
- Designs and implements enterprise solutions in a technical environment
- Utilizes expertise in mainstream business intelligence applications and data modeling to enhance decision-making processes
- Applies advanced skills in working with relational database management objects, ensuring adherence to database design principles, data administration standards, and the implementation of robust data quality and information security principles
- Engages in real time/near real time data analysis, actively correlating real time streams with diverse data sources to provide timely and actionable insights
- Conducts thorough analyses of structured and unstructured data to identify gaps, trends, patterns and provide valuable insights for strategic decision-making
- Conducts robust analysis; interpret data and translate findings into actionable recommendations for business improvement
- Develops, designs, and continually refines key business metrics to measure and evaluate Water Utility Group performance effectively
- Applies advanced techniques in large-scale data compilation and mining to discover meaningful patterns in accounting and operational data
- Leads the design and development of sophisticated analytical tools and techniques that offer a deep understanding of key business behaviors, driving optimization in operations
- Utilizes data visualization tools to present complex information in a clear and understandable format
- Manages the on-going maintenance of the P&A data architecture, ensuring its efficiency and alignment with organizational objectives
- Efficiently queries databases to compile and extract relevant data from disparate sources, contributing to informed decision making
- Collaborates with end users to enhance the data management and analytical infrastructure of the P&A Group, addressing the specific needs of internal stakeholders
- Performs complex troubleshooting, root-cause analysis, and solution development to address challenges, and enhance overall system efficiency
- Conducts in-depth Data Quality analyses, ensuring the accuracy and reliability of data used for decision-making
- Understands and facilitates the integration of business processes, people, and relevant technology to identify, configure, and communicate useful information
- Acts as a conduit and a partner with the Technology and IT team to deliver a stable and highly viable reporting platform, ensuring seamless data accessibility
- Provides training and act as Subject Matter Expert for the Water Utility Group in the areas of data management, performance management & reporting, and system optimization
- Assists in the development of the General Rate Case in close coordination with others by providing relevant financial reports and other supporting documents, ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Sarbanes Oxley requirements, in accordance with the Uniform System of Accounting for water utility
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Works under general supervision, demonstrating a capacity for independent decision-making and initiative
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in applied Math, Computer Science, Finance or related discipline
- Proven experience as a Data Analyst or in a similar role
- Proficiency in data analysis tools and languages tools required (SQL, Python, R., ETL, Azure, Power Platform)
- Experience with data visualization tools (example PowerBI, Tableau)
- Experience designing and executing performance management/business intelligence programs
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Independent worker and analytical thinker with ability to conduct research, data analysis and resolve complex problems
- Proficiently uses technology and re-evaluates processes to increase efficiency, accuracy and appropriate level of documentation through the skilled application of technology tools
- Proven ability to multi-task and work in a challenging fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated critical thinking capacity and ability to work with minimum of supervision
- Maturity, professionalism, and high level of discretion is required
- Ability to effectively communicate and establish working relationships with others
Our Company supports our employees with rich benefit programs and resources to help them thrive today and prepare for tomorrow. Benefit options include medical, dental, and vision plans with the Company currently paying 85% of the monthly premium for employees and their eligible dependents. We also offer paid vacation and sick time and twelve Company paid holidays per year. To help our employees plan for the future, we offer both a 401(k) retirement plan as well as a Defined Contribution Profit Sharing retirement plan. Additional benefits include life, AD&D, and LTD insurance as well as health savings account and flexible spending plans.
The compensation range provided is in compliance with state specific laws. Multiple factors are used to determine the actual starting rate of pay for all of our positions, including specific skills, years of experience, education, certification(s), and other job related factors.
The responsibilities of this position will involve access to information that may be considered confidential, private and sensitive. Therefore, the individual filling this position will be required to both allow and pass a background check.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
About the Company:
Golden State Water Company
Energy and Utilities