Mercantile Bank is hiring immediately for a Data Engineer. Thank you for taking the time to consider being Mercantile Bank's very first Data Engineer. Read on to learn more about who we are and what you could do as a Data Engineer at Mercantile Bank.
Who We Are
Mercantile Bank was created with a goal to deliver financial solutions that empower people and businesses to achieve their dreams, while bettering the lives of its employees and their communities. We have grown from a humble idea to over 40 locations, 5.25 billion in total assets, and nearly 700 employees. Our values remain at the heart of everything we do - through inclusivity, innovation, and collaboration, we achieve excellence every day and are accountable not only to our customers, but to our employees and the communities in which we serve.
We are proud to invest in our people and our communities, and our employees show their integrity in every interaction. We believe in hiring people based on their character and if necessary, teaching them the skills they need to be successful. We focus on developing employees and seek to promote from within whenever possible.
Our reputation as a great place to work didn't just happen. Our intentional efforts to provide excellent benefits, competitive wages and bonuses, volunteer opportunities, and many options for you to get involved, whether your interest is in learning more about banking, sharpening your leadership skills, or planning a fun activity we have a way for you to get connected with others in the bank and the community. We're proud (but honestly not that surprised) to be one of West Michigan's Best and Brightest Companies to Work For, 16 years and counting.
Data Engineer: Rewards and Benefits
Some of the medical and wellbeing benefits we provide are:
- Multiple medical, dental, and vision plans to choose from
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Paid Time Off: 4 weeks paid vacation, sick time to care of yourself and your family, and 10 paid holidays.
- Company Paid Life Insurance of 3 times your annual salary.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Adoption and IVF Assistance
- Fitness Equipment Purchase Plan
We also provide many opportunities to invest in your financial wellness and career development by providing:
- 401(k) match at 100% up to the first 5% of your contribution
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 529 College Savings Plans
- Discounted bank services
- Legal protection
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Exceptional training, and development opportunities tailored to your career interests and goals.
Data Engineer: Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent technical experience
- 5 years, preferably more, experience working as a Data Engineer or similar position utilizing the systems listed below.
- Relational database management systems (Microsoft SQL, Azure)
- SQL (data definition, stored procedures, scripts)
- Business intelligence tools (Tableau/Power BI)
- Cloud platforms (Microsoft Azure and Snowflake)
- Data wrangling experience using a variety of tools and languages (SQL Management Studio, Data Factory, Data Bricks).
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills with the ability to partner with all business units.
- Capability to design and document conceptual, logical, and physical data models for relational and dimensionally modeled databases.
- Familiarity with various raw data source types and how to interpret them. (Unstructured -JSON, Flat files).
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as R and Python.
- Experience interacting with and extracting data from modern web APIs.
- Experience creating data pipelines to transition data to cloud environments.
- Must be self-motivated and have a strong emphasis on detail, problem-solving skills, business value and measurable outcomes.
Data Engineer: Responsibilities and Daily Duties
As a Data Engineer at Mercantile Bank, you will perform a variety of duties related to the development, testing, maintenance and analysis of bank data, reports, scorecards, and dashboards that meet critical business unit and management needs. You will also assist with managing the bank's data warehouse environment, visualization software and related systems, processes, procedures and change controls as well as related technical and end-user training.
- Design, configure, develop, test, and deploy ETL-like processes and self-service reporting assets to provide solutions to end users.
- Research, adapt, and follow best practices for data warehouse management.
- Design and build data models and enhancements to existing data models furthering reporting potential in support of strategic goals.
- Participate in data cleansing and profiling efforts and trace data quality issues to their source.
- Contribute to Data Governance, system documentation and sharing of data asset knowledge.
- Work with business units to analyze and compile business requirements to support critical business processes.
- Manage movement of data between internal, external and cloud locations.
- Use a variety of relational and dimensional data resources combined with software development toolkits and fluency in multiple programming languages to design, test, and deploy solutions in on premises and cloud environments.
- Build and implement solution enhancements. Prepare system and process documentation.
- Investigate root causes of data and system issues then design, build, test, and deliver enhancements.
- Evolve a forward-thinking vision of the data management domain utilizing an understanding of the current and future states. Articulate pros/cons, and make timely recommendations to leadership.
We believe embracing human diversity makes us a better bank. We know it makes us better people.
Employees with dissimilar backgrounds, perspectives, opinions and lifestyles help us understand the motivations and desires of our many different customers. Thus, we will strive to maintain a workforce that reflects the increasing diversity of the communities we serve by ensuring equal employment opportunity for all persons without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex/gender (including gender identity), national origin, age, height, weight, disability, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, disabled or Vietnam era veteran, other forms of military status, marital status, or other protected characteristics.