Scientific Software Engineer
SAIC is looking for a candidate to support the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) in carrying out research, development, and operational transition of ingest, processing, quality control, and handling of environmental observations. The work location is at the NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP) in College Park, MD.
The candidate will perform the job duties in a collaborative environment, assisting developing and applying innovative methods for the primary work areas described below. They will be responsible for the design, engineering and implementation of an Environmental data ingest and processing software system. The candidate will work with EMC observation processing and ingest scientists to develop new and enhance existing S/W packages. They will be testing applications, maintaining an environmental observation data system to support data assimilation, model development, verification, and validation activities at NCEP. Additional responsibilities will include contributing to the observation processing reengineering effort, including the adaptation of Joint Effort for Data assimilation Integration (JEDI) software components.
The successful candidate will:
- Be responsible for the design, development and maintenance of high performance parallel
software packages used for processing environmental observational data at NCEP.
- Use modern OOP design principles, openMP, and MPI to create performance critical
software applications that run in a HPC environment.
- Assist in maintenance of a legacy observation data processing system (atmospheric,
oceanic, ice, wave, land/hydrology, and atmospheric composition).
- Work closely with EMC scientists to identify, source, inspect and validate new datasets.
- Make use of and contribute to open source Joint Effort for Data assimilation Integration
(JEDI) frameworks managed by the Joint Center for Satellite Data Assimilation
Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities in the following areas:
● Proficiency in modern programming languages such as object-oriented FORTRAN, C++,
● Knowledge of modern software engineering practices (requirements gathering, design,
prototyping, version control, integration, testing, and documentation).
● Experience working in a UNIX environment with advanced scripting languages
● Good oral and written communication skills in English
● Experience in running numerical models on High Performing Computer (HPC) platforms
using MPI, OpenMP, Slurm, LSF, etc.
● Experience applying OOP design principles to create maintainable software frameworks
and applications. Knowledge and experience with C++ templates would be a huge plus.
● Knowledge of environmental observations for use in data assimilation and geophysical
modeling and relevant data formats (i.e.netcdf, hdf)
● Knowledge of the physical and mathematical basis of geophysical modeling (atmospheric
and/or environmental) and experience running advanced numerical weather prediction
● Aptitude to work in a fast-paced work environment
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree and two years of experience
Candidates must be a U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder to qualify and must live in US for 3-5 years prior to application (please indicate in your cover letter). Candidates must be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are approximately 24,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is core to our values and important to attract and retain exceptional talent. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.9 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom.