Back to list
Views:   0
Replies:  0
Archived
Reply 1
OOP

Almost any book on .NET that gets beyond simple BS can take you through OOP principles. I would say OOAD is more what you are looking for. Here is my short list of more generalist books from an architecture standpoint:

• The Object-Oriented Thought Process – Paradigm shifting

• Applying UML and Patterns – Even if you are not using UML, there is a lot of power in this book

• Almost anything by Peter Coad (Object-Oriented Analysis, Object-Oriented Design, Object Models: Strategies, Patterns and Applications)

Refactoring

• Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code – THE book from Martin Fowler (remember baby steps)

• Refactoring to Patterns – Very useful to make sure you use patterns instead of having them use you

• Refactoring Databases: Evolutionary Database Design – This one will force a paradigm shift

Design Patterns

• Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software – the GoF book

• Head First Design Patterns – Easier for beginners

• Pattern Hatching: Design Patterns Applied

Architecture

• Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture – Another Martin Fowler classic

• Simple Architectures for Complex Enterprises – Easy read, very valuable

Others

• Working Effectively with Legacy Code – Brown field and Agile, a must read

• Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship – I would also rank the McConnell series in this area (The Software Project Survival Guide, Rapid Development and Code Complete)

• Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design – I also love “Don’t Make Me Think” but it is a bit more designer centric

Peace and Grace,
Greg

Twitter: @gbworld
Blog: http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com

Gregory Beamer, Aug 16, 2010
Stay Inspired!
Join other developers and designers who have already signed up for our mailing list.
Terms     Privacy     Licensing       EULA       Sitemap      
© Data & Object Factory, LLC.
Made with    in Austin, Texas