Home  /  Explore  /  Faq

Faq  -  frequently asked questions

Do I need to create an account?

No.  You can explore all questions, answers, users, code, tags, etc. without an account.

However, to be able to post your own questions, answers, and comments requires that you sign up and create an account. As a member you can vote on other postings, and recommend and follow other members. Furthermore, you can send private messages to other members via DoMail, our private messaging system.

By actively participating you gain points. And more points increases your community rank (for further details see below). With these reputation measures you demonstrate your commitment to .NET and the .NET Pattern community.



What are private and public accounts?

A private account is not visible to others. If you purchase the Design Pattern Framework, or post a Job, and the system creates the account for you, it will be private by default.

If you yourself created the account by signing up, then the account will be public. A public account means that your profile is visible to others (as well as search engines). To participate in the community (i.e. post questions, answers, etc) requires that your account is public.

At any point in time you can change your account from private to public and vice versa (under the Privacy tab).



I am a user of the Design Pattern Framework. How do I join the community?

There is no need to sign up.  Simply login with the credentials you already have and change the account from private to public.
After that, you're ready to go.



What are rank and reputation?

By participating in our community you will gain points -- see below for details on our Point System

Each member has two reputation values: total points and rank. Total points is exactly what it says: all the points you have gained since you signed up. Rank (also called Community Rank) is a value between 0 and 100 and is the percentile of your total points relative to all other members. For example, a rank of 62 means that 62% of the other members have fewer points than you. The other 38% have more.

These two values, total points and rank, are an expression of your reputation, which shows your level of .NET expertise and your commitment the .NET pattern community.


Point system

The table with legend below shows how you gain posting-related points: questions and answers are points gained due to votes or actions by other members, user actions are points gained due to your own actions.


  questions answers user actions
    duv ddv df ruv rdv rsb rsh updd updr absb absh
Points 10 -2 5 10 -2 20 10 -1 -1 6 3



 Legend
 duv Question receives UpVote
 ddv Question receives DownVote
 df Question acquires Follower
 ruv Answer receives UpVote
 rdv Answer receives DownVote
 rsb Answer Selected as Best Answer (by question author)
 rsh Answer Selected as Helpful (by question author)
 updd User Penalty for DownVoting Question
 updr User Penalty for DownVoting Answer
 absb Author Bonus for Selecting Best Answer
 absh Author Bonus Selecting Helpful



Every member starts off with 50 points -- just by signing up. Completing your profile (with a picture of yourself) will give you 200 points. Encouraging your friends and colleagues to sign up can get you up to 250 points (25 points for each sign-up). Having followers and recommendations is a good thing - not only do you gain points, but you will also be able to contact these members without limit using DoMail, our private message system. Finally, a profile or posting that is flagged numerous times (due to abuse, spam, etc) will receive stiff penalties.

Total points cannot go negative. Your daily maximum point gain is 400 points. Here is a summary of these rules:


Other point sources:

Startoff Points: 50   Points cannot go negative
75% Profile + Picture: 200    
Invited friend signs up: 25   Max 250 points
User acquires a Follower: 10    
User acquires a Recommendation: 10    
Question/Answer flagged 5 times: -100    
User Profile flagged 8 times: -200    
Max Points per day: 400   Counter resets at midnight (US Mountain time)



Are there any rules for code?


The .NET Pattern community thrives on code and we encourage members to include or attach code to their posts.
Before posting code, ensure that it is:

      1)  short,
      2)  complete,
      3)  it compiles, and
      4)  clearly demonstrates the problem.

Code can be included in-line (in your message) or as a zip file attachment. Zip files can include small code snippets or complete Visual Studio projects/solutions. To keep all users safe, no executable code can be included in the zip files (i.e. no exe or dll).



Any guidelines for writing a post?

The one guideline we ask all users to adhere to is this:  Treat others the way you like to be treated.
We're here to learn and grow together, so be nice and don't be offensive.