Home  /  Questions  /  Question

50   50
Mar 07, 2011

Silverlight and large amounts of data

Can someone suggest a framework or something to be used with Silverlight so that it is capable of handling large amounts of data?
Thanks.

1,364   100.0
Mar 08, 2011
This is a very broad level questions.  Can you please elaborate the specifics you are looking out for?  As handling large data is contextual based on what you are trying to achieve.

For .e.g you may using WCF RIA Services which will be used by Silverlight clients. In this case, you can make use of MTOM (Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism) for transfering huge data.

Before going that route, how big is your data?  These attributes needs to be defined.

If you can be more specific then that would help you get some good responses.
 3 comments

Thanks for reply Rajesh,actually i am trying to convert existing Asp.net application implemented using BLL,DAL into silverlight application.I want to know the best approach for the same.It will be great if i can reuse much of the existing code. The large data means , we have to fetch the data from 10-15 tables and it gives 30,000-40,000 records each time. --- Vi Sa  Mar 08, 2011

Ok.. In that case you need to put a governance plan around your service accesses. You can easily add the WCF layer around this. But try to put a data restriction or paging feature in your service. You can transfer this much amount of data without using any special means purely by configuration, but is that what you want? If you provide paging and let the client fetch say paged records say 500 at a time and on subsequent request fetch others, would be more responsive. In this case your service should accept paging parameters in request as well. Let me know your thoughts. --- Rajesh Pillai  Mar 08, 2011

So I need to put a WCF layer around the BLL , this way i can use existing code with some modification . As you said paging will be helpful. Please correct if i am wrong. Thanks. --- Vi Sa  Mar 08, 2011