Home  /  Questions  /  Question

59   94.7
Aug 06, 2010

How and Where to Begin?

Hello,

I am very new to Design Patterns, I have just begun to learn how important it is to get a successful design architecture.
I am facing little problem in starting up with the technology, I don't know how and where to begin. Should I take up a
small Web Development Project and start practicing design pattern on it? Please suggest. 

Maybe I am dumb to ask this here but I hope to get some response.

Regards.

70   95.9
Aug 06, 2010
My suggestion would be just take a design pattern and create a program that uses it. Experiment. Search the web as well. There are a lot of design patterns and examples out there. For me, I just took and example and programmed it. then played around with it till I got the feel of what it was trying to do. When you can see what it can do, try and find a project you have already worked and look at where it might fit in and then rework your project with the design pattern.hope this helps you. ---
 1 comment

Thanks Kevin, yes this way we can learn more, one more query. How to map Tables and their Relations to Object or Classes not the other way (object -> relational tables). I searched over the net but did not find anything clear. Thanks again for showing the direction.... --- Asmprogs Asmprogs  Aug 07, 2010

425   99.9
Aug 08, 2010
I would suggest looking through the .NET Framework for objects with names of the base patterns in them to give you an Idea of tools in the framework that ou are using now and how they relate to the base GOF patterns listed on this site and others.

This will give the feeling of what a implementatino looks like versius a concept.
 1 comment

Thanks a lot, yes I do agree it also give insight to how the entire .NET Framework has been developed, but difficult part is to grasp it at first sight, it may take some time to truly understand complete architecture and how it harness the power of "Design Pattern". --- Asmprogs Asmprogs  Aug 09, 2010

60   95.3
Aug 09, 2010
I'll also add a shameless plug for "HeadFirst Design Patterns".  If you don't have any experience at all with Patterns, this would be a very good way to start.
 1 comment

Thanks for responding - Got That "HeadFirst DP" --- Asmprogs Asmprogs  Aug 17, 2010

578   99.9
Aug 13, 2010
Definitely, Head First Design Patterns!  Get it!!

And while you're at it, Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design!
 1 comment

II Sir, "Head First OOAD" ;-) --- Asmprogs Asmprogs  Aug 17, 2010